Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question Travel out of the country with the Fassy; questions, questions, questions!

Hey there! We are in the planning stages of a vacation to Spain, Italy and France. I have never traveled out of the country with a smart phone before and I have some questions.

It seems to me that I will have LOTS of uses for the Fassy while traveling, the GPS, maps, internet, etc., etc. But keeping it charged could pose a problem, and none of it is any good if it is dead as a nit!

How do you guys keep it charged for very long travel/flying days? If it goes dead 30,000 feet in the air hours from our destination, I would be very bummed! Do airplanes have a way to charge a phone?! I have seen "airplane chargers" in the past but have no experience with them.

Should I invest in a second battery, as a spare? And if so, what do those cost? And are there wall chargers, so I could be using the phone with a fresh battery but charging the dead battery elsewhere?

Also, does anyone know about the current/voltages in those 3 countries? Will I need to buy an adapter to even charge the phone in the hotels?

Ayi yi yi, this is all starting to sound very complicated (and expensive!)

Any and all advice, experience appreciated! Thank you!

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    I have the extended battery and it is a life saver. Not sure about converters you will need but I am sure the version store will have them.

Keep in mind that data roaming is Extremely expensive, especially when international. Here is something to make sure of. Go into settings> wireless networks> mobile networks. Make sure the box is not checked. That way you will not data roaming. When you need it then go in and check it, then unchecked when done. Log out of twitter and fb as well.

*** shhhhh...I be tapatalkin ***
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Also keep in mind that Europe is GSM for mobile devices (like AT&T or T-Mobile) as opposed to CDMA (like Verizon or Sprint). I'm not even sure data roaming would work.

If anybody has ever used a non-global Verizon device in Europe, please chime in.

Tapatalk'd

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujibar View Post
    Also keep in mind that Europe is GSM for mobile devices (like AT&T or T-Mobile) as opposed to CDMA (like Verizon or Sprint). I'm not even sure data roaming would work.

If anybody has ever used a non-global Verizon device in Europe, please chime in.

Tapatalk'd
    Good point.
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    Unfortunately you will not bet able to use your fassy even in data roaming bc they use gsm. I think your best bet will be to purchase or rent a pre paid smart phone when you get there but it won't be cheap. The only thing you can use your fasssy would be in wifi mode. Good luck and safe trip.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you happen to have a global device sitting around, or have a friend that does, you could always borrow that. Prepaid SIMs are super cheap and you can usually get 'em in the airport right as you land.

There's a few android devices that are also dirt cheap off-contract, like some of the "Optimus" line IIRC (and the vast majority of those are available on the European GSM bands).

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hey Tiskers, as already said, you will not be able to use your 3G device in Europe, but I think the wi-fi would work, not sure. That may get you around the roaming part.
    Adapters for Europe are fairly cheep. This way you can always use your device for entertainment and charge where you are staying. Universal to European Outlet Plug Adapter - Convert any electrical outlet plug style for use with European outlets

If you are on a plane for an extended time, you would probably need either another battery or just an extended battery to last the entire trip, maybe both! Attachment 582
    Have a safe and fun packed trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DejaVu

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I don't quite understand the whole wi-fi/3G and why-it-may-not-work in Europe thing, though?!

I knew CALLS would be crazy expensive, but I thought I could probably still text and use other features, like the GPS, etc., from out of the country? Would I be able to use even the simple apps, like the currency converter, etc? And what about the Fassy's CAMERA? Would I be able to use that? It sounds like the phone may actually be pretty useless? And if that's the case, then there's no reason to worry about extra battery power! OY!!!

My friend, who will be traveling with us, has an HTC Incredible, and she mentioned something about global network (?) -- does that phone have something our Fassies don't?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hey Tiskers! Your phone will work fine for anything that phone does, camera, games, converters that are loaded to you phone. The only thing you will not be able to use is your 3G data line. Europe uses different frequencies wich are accessed via a SIM card. The Incredible 2 has a CDMA radio (which is what is uses here in the states for the 3G frequency) and also a SIM for Europe. That is what makes the INC2 a global phone. You have Verizon activate your SIM for use where you are going. I don't know anyting about the rates or such.
    So, if you wanted to play Angry Birds it's not a problem over there either.

The Wi-Fi part is just like hooking up your laptop to a wi-fi connection. Then you can cruise the internet with your phone as well. That does not use the 3G radio, it is seperate.

So basically, the Fassy is just a 3G device which uses CDMA frequency lines. The Incredible 2 is CDMA like the fassy but ASLO has a SIM card for Europen travel.

I hope this helps
    DejaVu

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, Deja and everyone!

So let's discuss a SIM card, please. Can I get one for my Fassie to use in Europe? Would it make my phone fully functional, like it is here in the US? And would it be an easy removal once I am home, with my phone completely back to normal, no harm/no foul?!

(I am not a travel newbie, just a smartphone newbie!) :cool2:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads