Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times

Do you think apps have too much access to your personal information?

I'm a little leary to download too many apps from the marketplace because so many of them have what seems like unlimited access to the personal information on my phone. For example the NFL Mobile app. Here's a list of the access this app has to your phone. The scary part is, some apps have more access to your system than this one does!
    Your location: coarse (network based) location, fine (GPS) location.
    Your messages: read SMS or MMS, receive MMS, receive SMS, receive WAP.
    Network communication: full internet access
    Storage: modify or delete SD card contents
    Phone calls: read phone state
    Services that cost you money: send SMS messages
    System tools: change network connectivity, change Wi-Fi state, modify global system settings, prevent phone from sleeping.

I'd really like to download this app being that the majority of its features are free, but it pretty much has unlimited access to my phone and that's what bothers me. I mean, why would this app (or any app for that matter) have/need the ability to "modify or delete SD card contents", or the ability to "change my network connectivity", read my phone calls, SMS/MMS messages"? Is anyone else concerned about this issue or am I just being paranoid? What about you....do you take into consideration the access certain apps have before you download them, or do you not think it's that important?
    Speaking of the NFL Mobile app.....has anyone downloaded this one yet and what's your opinion on said app? Do you like it, does it work well, etc.?
    Thanks!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I understand your concern, I do pay attention to these things, but I make my decision to install based on the author of the app, comments on app, and don't put as much emphasis as I probably should on the permissions being granted.

Some of these things I can understand:
    modify sd card content: alot of apps store their settings and their caches on the sd card
    sms/mms msg: if the app has the ability for you to send a text this will be there. In other words if they use text msgs to send you alerts on football games, scores, news etc...
    phone calls: just about all apps monitor the phone so that they can pause/stop when a phone call comes in. I've seen very few that do not request this permission.
    changing network connectivity: I don't know but would imagine that this has something to do with streaming the games to the phone.

I actually have this app but have used it very little. I did use it once during preseason to watch a game while I was waiting for my food at a resturaunt. That is until the wife got mad and I had to put the phone away.

Generally if the app is from a well known company I don't worry too much about it, but I know that might not always be smart. I figure that if this app is preinstalled on some VZ phones then it is probably ok. I think it was already installed on my son's X, but it may have been on my Droid.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Interesting story from the Wall Street Journal regarding 3rd party apps and your personal information....
    Facebook in Online Privacy Breach; Applications Transmitting Identifying Information - WSJ.com

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    The double-edged sword of open source development....

Ads