Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Format sd card

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    aardvark502

Format sd card

So i kind of want to start fresh but want to keep my can I just copy my pictures to my pc format sd and drag them back over? If so what folder would these be in.
    I Don't Always Wipe Data
    But When I Do
    I Never have Problems

I'm a Tank

2. Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Yes, you can do that. They're in the DCIM folder.

Be sure you use your PC to format the sdcard, not the phone. I fried my 16gb card using the phone's format feature.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Your pictures are stored in. DCIM. So go to dcim>Camera and all the pictures you took should be in there. Any you downloaded may be in other places tho.

I tap. It talks.
    Rescue Squad
    Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns
    Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    If you are rooted and have Clockwork Recovery installed you can format just the partitins on your phone and not the SD contents.

To do this reboot into Recovery and go go into Storage, and Format all the partitions EXCEPT the SDcard and SD-ext. This will format you system partitions but not your SD Card. I guess if you really wanted to be safe you could pull the SD card out, but I have never tried this.

You can also backup the entire contents of you SDcard
    To do this connect your Fascy to your computer and make the USB connection. Now you should be able to copy the entire contents of your SD card to your PC. Make a folder on your computer called something like 'sdcardbackup' and go to My computer or however you like to access your files. Click on the drive that is your SD card and select all the files/folders and COPY them to your PC. It will take a minute or two depending on my many and the size of your files.

Once it's done, safely remove your USB connected SDCard (you all do that anyway right?). Disconnect USB connection (on your phone). Now go into Settings => Storage and it should show that your SD card is Mounted. It will say 'Unmount SDcard if it IS mounted. If it says Mount SDcard than tap it to mount your card.

Your phone is now ready for use and the entire contents of you SD card are stored on your computer.

Note: I cannot tell you anything about restoring the whole contents of your SD card to your phone and would not suggest doing so. But if you a folder or specific files restored you will be able to get them from the SDcardbackup folder and restore them to your phone.
    aardvark502 likes this.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    Yes, you can do that. They're in the DCIM folder.

Be sure you use your PC to format the sdcard, not the phone. I fried my 16gb card using the phone's format feature.
    That hurts

I have used my phones format feature many times without issue. It's what I use almost all the time. But we know how fickle and vindictive our phones can be.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    aardvark502
    Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post
    If you are rooted and have Clockwork Recovery installed you can format just the partitins on your phone and not the SD contents.

To do this reboot into Recovery and go go into Storage, and Format all the partitions EXCEPT the SDcard and SD-ext. This will format you system partitions but not your SD Card. I guess if you really wanted to be safe you could pull the SD card out, but I have never tried this.

You can also backup the entire contents of you SDcard
    To do this connect your Fascy to your computer and make the USB connection. Now you should be able to copy the entire contents of your SD card to your PC. Make a folder on your computer called something like 'sdcardbackup' and go to My computer or however you like to access your files. Click on the drive that is your SD card and select all the files/folders and COPY them to your PC. It will take a minute or two depending on my many and the size of your files.

Once it's done, safely remove your USB connected SDCard (you all do that anyway right?). Disconnect USB connection (on your phone). Now go into Settings => Storage and it should show that your SD card is Mounted. It will say 'Unmount SDcard if it IS mounted. If it says Mount SDcard than tap it to mount your card.

Your phone is now ready for use and the entire contents of you SD card are stored on your computer.

Note: I cannot tell you anything about restoring the whole contents of your SD card to your phone and would not suggest doing so. But if you a folder or specific files restored you will be able to get them from the SDcardbackup folder and restore them to your phone.
    thanks for all this I want to try formatting my partitions i am currently on comm rom 2.0 with otb 1.5 would this screw with voodoo and not work well and also is there a chance of this fixing my android.process.media problem I have on cyanogenmod 7
    I Don't Always Wipe Data
    But When I Do
    I Never have Problems

I'm a Tank

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    As far as CM7 you will have to ask someone smarter than me. I just don't know much about it even though I'm running it.

You know that is a really good question. I can only try to reason out an answer. RFS/EXT/MTD are file systems. A way of organizing files and how to find them on a storage medium. Think the table of contents or index in a book. While formatting is more like the printing in a book. A format erases the letters but leaves the pages and page numbers.

When you run lagfix, it reads the data, wipes the sector and writes the data back. In other words it formats the new file system (wipes the pages) but writes the data back. But we are not running lagfix we are formatting.

I know that is not a real answer, but my guess is that formatting from within CWM will work fine with lagfix enabled, but I don't know for sure. I just can't recall if I've ever formatted partitions in CWM while running Lagfix (Lagfix is the real issue not Voodoo itself)
    aardvark502 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am constantly surprised by the amount of information accessible on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well written to get your stand on this over to all your readers. Thanks a lot my dear. Bilder fürs Büro

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I visit your blog regularly and recommend it to all of those who wanted to enhance their knowledge with ease. The style of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that shrewdness you provide the readers! 먹튀검증

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    To get an obvious answer I start surfing and found that badminton is the game which people love to play it. No matter what is your age and from which group you are from if you have great command and skills then you can simply rock. best badminton racket for beginners 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads