Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Why can't some apps be moved to SD card?

I was thinking today that I really should move a few apps over to the SD card (apps with inputted info that would be difficult or impossible to replace, I presume?!)

Well, it went without a hitch except for 2 apps, in which the "Move to SD card" button is grayed out and the option would not work. Why would that be? And (besides rooting! Buddy, put away those drums!!!) is there any way around this?

THANK YOU!

2. Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Some apps that have Widgets when moved to SD card breaks the Widgets, so they don't put app2sd support with them, and other need to access vital parts of the phone such as a custom dialer app and if moved to the SD card it can't access the dialer. Which is why some aren't able to be moved. Also some apps that need to sync wont be able to sync correctly if on the sdcard.....just my 2 cents

Rescue Squad

Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns

Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, Ronnie, makes sense!

Another question, then... for an app that gets updated periodically (by me) should I move it to the SD card after each entry, and then delete the older copy that would already be on the SD card? Or how should that be done?

Thank you!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Ummm I imagine it would overwrite the old version if moved, I can't be completely sure since I have never moved any apps to my sdcard.

Rescue Squad

Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns

Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    "(apps with inputted info that would be difficult or impossible to replace, I presume?!)" this statement seems like you are preparing to root at some point.

OK here's my 2 cents. Probably the most useful part about being rooted is the ability use Titanium Backup. It's not only for people who like to flash roms all the time. Titanium backup could backup EVERYTHING safely and completely. I know you moved apps to sd card but really you have only moved portions of an app to the sd card. Not trying to sway you in any way but just stating the facts.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gyver View Post
    "(apps with inputted info that would be difficult or impossible to replace, I presume?!)" this statement seems like you are preparing to root at some point.

OK here's my 2 cents. Probably the most useful part about being rooted is the ability use Titanium Backup. It's not only for people who like to flash roms all the time. Titanium backup could backup EVERYTHING safely and completely. I know you moved apps to sd card but really you have only moved portions of an app to the sd card. Not trying to sway you in any way but just stating the facts.
    Not ready to root, yet... but always appreciate you guys' blazing enthusiasm!!! LOL!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie8890 View Post
    Ummm I imagine it would overwrite the old version if moved, I can't be completely sure since I have never moved any apps to my sdcard.
    Hmmm, yes, this is the question! Maybe someone will have some experience with this. Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    Yes, it will overwrite the old version if moved so there's no need to move them back to phone in order to update. I frequently move apps to my SD card as well.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Yes, it will overwrite the old version if moved so there's no need to move them back to phone in order to update. I frequently move apps to my SD card as well.
    Thanks, CR! But that brings up another question, then... once an app is on the SD card, the only option button is then "Move to Phone". So how would I do that?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    yep...just press the button. I guess I don't understand what you're asking. If you want to move it back to your phone right?

Once you move an app to your phone, that button automatically converts to a "move to phone" button. So if you need or want to move it back, that's what you'll push. (it'll do the rest)
    Last edited by CR6; 10-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Ads