Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Maximum SD Card Size?

Sorry, two questions here:

(1) What is the max size that my SD card can be? If it can be bigger than the 16 gigs I have now, what size should I get? I want the biggest one I can find. I don't know much about SD cards, so I apologize.

(2) If I get another SD card what do I need to do to have my apps on that new one? Do I need to uninstall, insert new SD card and then re-install? Just concerned about the apps. I know how to move pics/music/vids to my desktop and back again.

Thanks for your help!
    The Following User Says Thank You to soccerdon1981 For This Useful Post:
    Error414: No Useful Post Found

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    32G with a stock Verizon sch-i500. I don't have one that big (standard is 16G), but in the past with smart phones Ive found the wait for a phone to read an over sized card not worth the security of having too much empty storage. I'd be interested to hear how long boot takes with a card that big...I know mine sits on reading card for at least 60 seconds. Maybe that's something a custom rom or lash fix could handle, I'm curious to know.
    verizon user since 2001: kyocera 6035, samsung i300, treo 600p, treo 700p, htc eris droid, motorola droid x, samsung fascinate droid (since 2010-09-11)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have a 32g card in mine. I got it back earlier in the summer when VZ messed up and offered them online for $49. The boot process really doesn't take any longer, but when the media scanner starts up it takes it appox. 90 secs to scan the card. I really haven't timed it. I have about 10 gigs of music/videos on the card and some backup files, and I use it as a usb drive to transport files from different computers and between work and home.

In terms of what do you do if you get a new card, if you have a card reader for your computer you can just plug the phone in, mount the usb drive, copy the entire contents of your old card to the new card in the card reader (folders and all), turn off phone, replace card with new card, reboot. You should not have to reinstall anything. All the music/pics/videos will be picked up by the media scanner at boot, and your programs should find whatever they need if you kept the file structure the same. (if you don't have card reader: make folder on computer, copy all contents to this folder, replace card, copy back to phone.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    +1 regarding Seles comment. 32gb is currently the highest sized "micro" SD card you can get and they average in price from 90-110 bucks. Their are some brands that make HIGH SPEED micro sd cards and they'll be a little higher in cost but you won't notice any real difference in speed (or delay rather) from the stock 16gb you currently have, even with the higher capacity.
    A card reader is definitely a good investment but you can always hook directly up to your home/work pc using the stock usb cable & to save your files & then transfer them back to your phone.
    Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The issue you are going to run into with the 32gb card is speed. But that can be fixed with the proper class size. For instance the 16gb sdcard the phone come with is a class 2 card. If you get a class 2 32 gb card it will be alot slower than the 16 due to the card management. If you want the 32gb I would suggest spending the money and getting a class 6 card. It's the fastest card/highest class available.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Overwhelming response and a load of information! Thanks a lot for being so detailed. I'll get the 32 gigs, class 6. I don't know what a card reader is, so I'll just do what Sele suggested. I'm excited, and can't wait to move the rest of my movies and music on this bad boy.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The card reader will plug into your usb drive on your computer and allow you to read/write to your card without having to put itin your phone. Sometimes you can find them bundled with the card. If not they should be less than $10.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    They're good to have if you've got a lot of different electronic devices like digital camera, camcorder, personal music player,etc. Your newer card readers will read/write all the different memory card formats like SD, Micro SD, MMC, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ahhhh...very nice. I've got a PSP, MP3 player and an Omnia with stuff I'd like to transfer to my fascinate. I'll get the card reader as well.

Thanks a lot guys!!

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate via Tapatalk

Ads