Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wifi Tether Problem?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Wifi Tether Problem?

Does anybody have problem using the Fascinate's wifi for laptop PCs? I'm pretty sure I successfully rooted the phone and am using the correct app, but the PC still fails to connect. When I go to set up a connection in the PC, I can see the AndroidTether or Barnacle names (depends on which app I try, have both now) and tell the computer to connect to them, but it fails. I also have great signal from the phone if you look at the bars. The PC gives me the message that the "connection is taking longer than usual" and then ultimately fails every time.

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildphoenix View Post
    Does anybody have problem using the Fascinate's wifi for laptop PCs? I'm pretty sure I successfully rooted the phone and am using the correct app, but the PC still fails to connect. When I go to set up a connection in the PC, I can see the AndroidTether or Barnacle names (depends on which app I try, have both now) and tell the computer to connect to them, but it fails. I also have great signal from the phone if you look at the bars. The PC gives me the message that the "connection is taking longer than usual" and then ultimately fails every time.

Am I doing something wrong here?
    Using Barnacle, go in to settings and make sure you have skip wpa_supplicant selected. Is this already selected? If it is and you are still having issues, some folks have said barnacle legacy works for them. I use the latest barnacle and it works perfectly for me, but not some others.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Oops. To clarify, I use the Barnacle Legacy. It doesn't have this option under the settings.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildphoenix View Post
    Oops. To clarify, I use the Barnacle Legacy. It doesn't have this option under the settings.
    TBH, I've never used barnacle legacy. Try the latest using the setting I suggested. Weirder things have happened. Like I said, I've never had any issues using it.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I downloaded the Barnacle app you posted and selected the change under settings and still didn't connect. I'm almost wondering if Vista 64bit might have something to do with this now.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you tried connecting any other devices to it? I use x64 win 7 with no issues

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    No. This laptop is all I have that is wifi enabled. I can see if my coworker can connect at work later tho.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wireless Tether 2.0.5
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2434026/wire...2_0_5-pre9.apk

If you want you should try this... This has never not worked for me with any OS.
    If it does not work, you may want to consider your wireless card in your PC the verdict in this problem.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I use the barnacle legacy, but have tried just about all of the wireless tether versions I could find. I have not had any trouble getting my Win 7 netbook to connect to mine with any of these, the reason I use the barnacle legacy is because on mine it is a more reliable constant connection. However, different phones will react to these wireless tethering programs differently. So what works with my computer might not work with yours, but I would think that you should be able to get at least one of them to connect at least a little. I'd give the wireless tether version posted above a shot, that is the version I used before trying the b.l.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I tried the version that matatouille09 posted with no luck. I'm pretty sure the phone is rooted correctly since I can run Titanium Backup, but I'm still having the problem with the PC. I tried to see if my coworker would try to use the phones wifi, but it was not successful. Her PC is almost 10 years old so that may be a factor. My PC is two years old, so I wouldn't imagine the wireless card being an issue so I'm trying to research that at the moment. You wouldn't know how to find out that info from the PC would you? I use a small ASUS notebook.

Interesting thing tho, I used the 3G mobile hotspot to see if I could get a connection and it immedietly brought me to the page where it told me I could use the phone's wifi for an extra $20 per month. Does this mean that my phone/PC is connectable and it's just the tethering program I'm trying to use that doesn't work or does Verizon automatically take you that page before you can actually "surf" the internet on the PC with the wifi provided from the phone?
    R0ckstark3ra likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads