Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Facebook integration

After messing around with my Fascinate for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that the Fascinate's Facebook integration is pretty poor.

If you use the built in Facebook account you need to either go through all your friends and pick the ones you want synced to your phone (and link the ones it doesn't autolink), or import them all and then choose not to display Facebook contacts (this will still show Facebook contacts linked with your google contacts which is what you want in the first place). I outlined this here when I discovered it.

For some reason you cannot add the Facebook App's Facebook account on the accounts & sync page. If you can, please let me know how you did it because I'm unable to get it working (its the 2nd Facebook icon [more square and less glossy] on the Add Account page from Accounts & Sync).

I added all my facebook contacts and filtered it to just my google & facebook contacts. This eventually causes syncing problems where it wouldn't sync Facebook's stuff (or it took too long) which caused the google account items to not sync. This basically prevented me from ever getting my email, even with a manual refresh in the gmail app. Is anyone else experiencing this after importing a large number of Facebook contacts (500+)?

Anyway, for now, the best method I've discovered is SyncMyPix. You authorize it on Facebook just like another in Facebook app and it will pull and attach profile pictures from your Facebook friends to your google contacts. As a side effect (a bonus IMHO) when your contacts are re-synced with google, the pictures transfer too. SyncMyPix can also be set to update your contacts daily, weekly, or monthly.

Has anyone else found any other solutions or have any tips for dealing with the Fascinate's poor Facebook integration?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I can't add the account through the Accounts & Sync page either. I just clicked the facebook app icon under applications to add the account. I use that for all my facebook browsing and the integrated facebook account to sync pictures, birthdays and whatnot.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just be happy it's not like the X's. The droid x literally dumps every single person on your facebook onto your phone.
    On the fascinate I have the option of only displaying people with #'s... and selectively linking phone or gmail contacts to facebook people one at a time

which sounds tedious

until you have a droid x for a minute and realize your contact list suddenly now sports 800 people

:\

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow that sounds awful! I really don't understand why any phone went away from the amazing way the Droid handled contacts and facebook.

Remove Ads

Ads