Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question US Fascinate in Canada | Benefits of Root

While I probably should have separated the two questions I have into separate threads, I didn't want to blast the forum with a bunch of posts from a newbie. Possibly you can just point me in the right direction for answers that I haven't come across as of yet.

1) I own a Fascinate from Verizon purchased in the States, but I plan to see family in Canada during the winter holiday season. This poses some concerns for me, namely, my ability to have the phone operational while in a different country. Since this is my first smartphone, I don't have much knowledge about the charges that might be incurred from data sending while out of the home country.
    -----Is there a way to turn off 3G, but leave WiFi active? I think this will solve most of my problems, if this is available on the phone. I worry that I'll have to pay by the kilobyte while in a different country.
    -----Does the GPS part of Fascinate cost anything to use (or work at all) in Canada? I've become somewhat dependant on GPS in the past few months, and my travels in Canada will probably take me to some places that I don't know very well.

2) Many of my coworkers speak highly of rooting their phones, and I value their opinion, but I'm not convinced that it will be worth my time to research and set up a rooted Fascinate. While I do have some qualms with the stock UI, I have found work-arounds for searching (Skyfire homepage), voice commands (Vlingo), accessing computers (PocketCloud and Tonido). I would find overclocking the processor to be worthwhile, but not until Froyo arrives. I have only mild interest in tethering my phone since I live in a fairly metropolitan area and I don't have a laptop.
    ----What are the benefits of rooting a Fascinate? What do you, as a user, find most appealing and comforting when you turn on your rooted Fascinate?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There are some widgets available in the market that will allow you to cut off the 3g on the phone and just use wifi. Power control is one, extended controls is another.
    Gps uses public govt sats so it does not cost anything. You will need a data connection to pull the maps, so this will probably cost in Canada. I'd contact VZ and ask about this.
    If you have no desire to tether right now if advise waiting until froyo before rooting. Enjoy your phone right now and get to know it inside and out before you start rooting. I really don't see any reason you would want to root right now.

Sent from my Fascinate.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    To answer your questions:

1. You may actually want to contact VZ customer service about this. I've found VZ techs over the phone to be much more helpful than those in the stores. (Apologies to those on this site who may work for VZ, but this has been my experience.)

2. I agree with Sele that it sounds like you don't have a need to root right now ... but as far as what I like best about my rooted Fascinate ... I like knowing that no one else has a phone exactly like mine. This is my first Android phone and so far, I've made the user experience unique to me through use of a custom kernel, launcher, wallpapers, apps, and boot & shutdown animation. I've really enjoyed learning how to customize this thing as well as how to fix whatever may go wrong in the process.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujibar View Post
    1. You may actually want to contact VZ customer service about this. I've found VZ techs over the phone to be much more helpful than those in the stores. (Apologies to those on this site who may work for VZ, but this has been my experience.)
    I did call customer service today, and I learned a great deal - something worth mentioning. The fascinate phone actually has a setting for turning off data roaming:

From the Home screen > Menu Button > Settings > Wireless and Networks > Moble Networks > Data Roaming [Check Box]

Just uncheck it, and you should be fine.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SyrisPuppet View Post
    I did call customer service today, and I learned a great deal - something worth mentioning. The fascinate phone actually has a setting for turning off data roaming:

From the Home screen > Menu Button > Settings > Wireless and Networks > Moble Networks > Data Roaming [Check Box]

Just uncheck it, and you should be fine.
    I went back & read your original post. Sounds like that takes care of your excessive charges concern, no?

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Ads