Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What about here: http://wpsantennas.com/cell-phone-ex...er-cables.aspx

Or here: http://samsungfascinateaccessoriespr...e-antennas.htm

Or here: http://cell-phone-accessories.com/sa...lassmount.html

Or here: http://alternativewireless.com/cellu...-adapters.html

Not sure if this helps or not....or if this is even your question. Good luck buddy.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate via Tapatalk
    The Following User Says Thank You to soccerdon1981 For This Useful Post:
    Error414: No Useful Post Found

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sure looks like external antenna ports to me. It looks very similar to the external port for my current phone, a LG Env2, and same sort of deal as you experienced. No one could tell me anything, be it my carrier (Verizon, who I bought the phone from), antenna sales people, online, etc. I had to discover that it had a port by my own research and by taking the phone apart to see what was under the hood. In my case, I use it infrequently when we visit our family cabin where there is very spotty reception (not enough for a call, but enough for 1 bar to show on the phone). When I plug in the external antenna, my bars don't increase but the reception becomes excellent. Anyhow, thanks again. I might look into this phone and if I do get a external antenna, I'll be sure to post here what I find in terms of reception.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question for fors6630

Saw your comment on the jacks in the back. Can you let us know which jack you used? I see 2 jacks above the chip marked R2 G and a third jack below the chip marked R1.

I'm looking at Wilson Part #359919, hoping this is the correct jack.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andylit View Post
    Saw your comment on the jacks in the back. Can you let us know which jack you used? I see 2 jacks above the chip marked R2 G and a third jack below the chip marked R1.

I'm looking at Wilson Part #359919, hoping this is the correct jack.
    Um, I know your question is not directed at me, but can I answer?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I found someone that knew what plug to use.

You can use the adapter for the Samsung A717. It's the same adapter that the new Samsung Fascinate uses. You can find it on this page under the Samsung drop down menu. It's a back plug in adapter.

http://www.cellantenna.com/index.php?id=external

I have a booster and antenna set up that I used with my old phone. It made an incredible difference using the booster vs just an antenna. I just couldn't find the port that was on the Fascinate (was afraid to remove the tape). I'll order a plug and try it out. I'll post the results once I find out.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The existence of an external antenna jack on the Fascinate, purchased two weeks ago, is confirmed. For this iteration of phone research, with the goal being to replace an LG Dare that has an antenna jack, the Fascinate and Motorola Droid were the only current feature or smart phones at Verizon that I could confirm have antenna jacks. Of course and as usual, Verizon stated flat out that none of their phones have antenna jacks. Motorola claimed likewise for all their phones, even though the Droid does have an antenna adapter. Verizon even told me that I cannot be using the LG Dare with an external antenna, because it does not have one, even though I have been using it with a booster and antenna for over two years. Two Verizon reps independently claimed phone manufacturers are now wiring the headset jack to double as an external cell antenna jack. I have not been able to confirm that with anyone, including wilson. I wonder if they are confusing cell antennas with FM antennas.

The Droid is old, I do not want it. Further, it's the post release buyer reviews that matter, and Motorola's Androids in general seem to suffer from too many problems. The Fascinate continues to get quality buyer reviews. The Fascinate won for me.

On the Fascinate, use the lower single jack labeled R1 for your external antenna adapter. The three jacks on the phone are indeed under tape, as described above (see pic below). I bought antenna cable adapters at 3gstore.com, also available at wpsantennas.com. In the past I have purchased adapters from cellantenna.com and alternativewireless.com, both reputable in my book, but their sites indicated there is no antenna jack for the Fascinate, being that they recommend patch adapters. Patch and cradle adapters are inferior, particularly in low signal strength areas that I frequent and live in, so I bought the adapters from 3gstore.com because they had tagged their Fascinate adapter page in a manner that allowed it to come up in web searches – for me, their site was the very first indication that the Fascinate has an external antenna jack, so they won.

Attachment 184

On the one hand the Fascinate antenna cable adapters do not seem to be any different than adapters I was using for the LG Dare or previous phones, aside from connector length variation for older phones. On the other hand, 3 out of 4 Dare adapters that I own have a pin that is recessed from the outer sleeve, where as the adapters for the Fascinate have a pin that is flush with the end of the outer sleeve. This may be just a result of use and wear with the Dare, it may result from manufacturing quirks, or it may be a real difference. My inclination is that the difference is due to wear, since the jacks appear to be similar. And importantly, I would assume one wants and needs a pin that gets to the bottom of the jack to ensure a solid connectionis achieved.

On the Fascinate, use a good case, preferably -not- hard plastic, to firm up the connector from the outside because the distance from the battery cover to the jack base is short. The Fascinate works great with a smoothtalker single band BST800AA booster, and an older smoothtalker (BT100). I have had it tied to single-band and dual-band yagi antennas, as well as small and large whip antennas. Boosted radio quality is even better than my previous LG Dare, which has been no slouch. However, compared to the Dare, the Fascinate seems to show 1 more bar than the Dare for the same signal strength. The adapters are a bit long, but they would be suitable for a thicker case. I like them a bit long because they are held in place well by a cradle when protruding a bit from the phone.

Attachment 185Attachment 186

Rumor from Samsung is that the top two jacks (R2 and G) are a second cell antenna and gps antenna jacks, respectively, which I cannot confirm. Reference at

Smartphone and Antenna - Escapees Discussion Forum

Note that my first web-purchased Fascinate was defective. It would not activate at a known strong signal, showing no bars. Later it activated with the signal boosted, but the signal later oscillated from 2 bars to none at about a 5 second cycle, spending most of it's time below -100dbm and hence it was inoperable for calls. This was worrying because this was strongly inferior to the LG Dare, and I figured I lost my gamble for a new phone with an antenna jack. The next day, back in town and without an amplified signal, it again had no bars and operated poorly, if at all.

At the Verizon store, the non-boosted Fascinate was showing -106dbm (no bars) under their roof-mounted repeater. After a reset that solved nothing, Verizon replaced it immediately with a new unused phone, showing -63dbm (full bars) on the replacement phone at the same location. Problem solved. At this moment at my field quarters, the Fascinate is tied to a small whip antenna, no booster and 15 ft of cable, in the middle of nowhere in the Colorado mountains. The phone shows -100dbm (1 bar by a hair). Calls are great, no missed incoming calls, and 3G works fine at acceptable speed for it's purpose at this location. I can further amplify the Verizon/Fascinate signal here with a booster but there is no reason to. In comparison, a booster and yagi on an adjacent Verizon cell modem shows -76dbm (3 bars) for 3G. Note that with this configuration the phone powers up by about 5 db (from 1 to 2 bars) when the connections are active.

If you need a boosted phone, I have no problem recommending the Fascinate, provided the problem with the first phone does not show up in the replacement. I doubt that will happen. Everything else about the phone makes it a must-have product, so I have lucked out again in the quest for boosted signals.
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used my fascinate for a while with a Wilson Trucker and dual band yagi direct connected to the jack. I mounted a precision bored plate over the hole in the back to prevent any side forces on the jack. Used the same adapter as myu Dare. After a few weeks, I had a terrible drop in reception, with or without the antenna. VZ exchanged the phone for a refurb, but I have been afraid to use the jack again, as I fear that, despite my stress relief plate, the jack might have been putting stress on the PC board inside. It seems very fragile, and I don't want a repeat.

I now use a Wilson SOHO amp and a cradle or their velcro pad antenna. Works very well.

The Fascinate seems to have poorer reception without an external antenna than the Droid X, so I might go for a Droid X instead. I spend a lot of time in areas where Verizon's map shows service, but there is none without an external antenna and an amp. None, as in a circle with a bar through it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting. My traditional hole bore in the plastic cover is started with a small drill bit, then I file it slowly with a round file to enlarge and center it. I stop when the adapter achieves a tight and almost difficult fit. Who knows, but your drop in reception sounds like the problem that was in my first new Fascinate, out of the box, before using the antenna jack. I'd suggest using your antenna adapter again and see what happens. The Verizon rep had no problem with my new adapter hole modification when I asked for my cover back to use with the replacement phone. Your plate sounds perfect, but I'm wondering if it is metal and hence might cause some type of interference, particularly if the metal is touching the adapter sleeve.

I've seen passive cradles in action, they seem to work for some in stronger signal areas, but they require a different (stronger) booster to push and pull passive signals through the phone case. Because 1db can make the difference between connecting and not connecting, or holding calls in remote areas, I'm sticking to wired connections. For patch adapters, I find velcro to be annoying and grotesque, in addition to passive signal implications.

Verizon's maps don't mean much, particularly in mountainous areas. At my home, there is a 200 ft Verizon tower 7 air miles away, with mountains in the way. I can pull -89 to -91 db with a large yagi mounted far up a hill, ultra-low-loss cabled 50 ft to the booster, with the signal passed by phone bluetooth another 40 feet to a docking station. Otherwise, phones are dead (-118 db at best, if anything).

I can't comment much on use without an external antenna due to my own useage patterns. But in the searching I did, the Droid X seems to not have an antenna jack. Even without a need for a jack, user reviews show many android and reboot complaints with the Motorolas, but not so for the Fascinate. So I am not starting a Motorola vs Fascinate debate, but just pointing out that android performance reviews seem to be a plus for the Fascinate after signal needs.

You've probably seen that the Fascinate shows db (presumably 1x) at Applications/Settings/About phone/Status/Signal strength.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting. My traditional hole bore in the plastic cover is started with a small drill bit, then I file it slowly with a round file to enlarge and center it. I stop when the adapter achieves a tight and almost difficult fit. Who knows, but your drop in reception sounds like the problem that was in my first new Fascinate, out of the box, before using the antenna jack. I'd suggest using your antenna adapter again and see what happens.

I'm afraid I would induce another failure.

The Verizon rep had no problem with my new adapter hole modification when I asked for my cover back to use with the replacement phone. Your plate sounds perfect, but I'm wondering if it is metal and hence might cause some type of interference, particularly if the metal is touching the adapter sleeve.

A metal plate or bushing is of no consequence, as it only touches the outside sleeve of the plug, which would be the same to the signal. On my Dare, I used both a Micarta and an aluminum plate, with no difference.

I've seen passive cradles in action, they seem to work for some in stronger signal areas, but they require a different (stronger) booster to push and pull passive signals through the phone case.

Being plastic, the phone case offers scant resistance to an RF signal, from the air or from a cradle.

Because 1db can make the difference between connecting and not connecting, or holding calls in remote areas, I'm sticking to wired connections. For patch adapters, I find velcro to be annoying and grotesque, in addition to passive signal implications.

With an amplifier, passive is good. At least with my Wilson SOHO. Wilson's manual says not to direct connect it.

Verizon's maps don't mean much, particularly in mountainous areas. At my home, there is a 200 ft Verizon tower 7 air miles away, with mountains in the way. I can pull -89 to -91 db with a large yagi mounted far up a hill, ultra-low-loss cabled 50 ft to the booster, with the signal passed by phone bluetooth another 40 feet to a docking station. Otherwise, phones are dead (-118 db at best, if anything).

Mountains are tough, aren't they? We are in between two ranges right now. The only thing that makes me want something besides the Fascinate is the fact that other VZ users get reception and I don't. It would be nice to keep my navigation signal while driving without having to drag along the amp and connect it for each trip. The Fascinate also doesn't like my big fingertips.

RCB
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Regarding the external antennas, has anyone had any problem with lightning strikes? I live out in the sticks and though we don't have mountains, we have a lot of hills and is about 50% forested.

My signal on other "standard" phones is usually around 3 bars or so, dipping to one or zero when indoors, depending on weather conditions.

I was particularly interested in this, but I do have concerns about lightning strikes, as they have done in a lot of equipment, even with surge protectors (though 95% of the time it has helped)

With concerns on a direct connection, what about creating a jack extension? Something with a little slack that won't directly put pressure on the board mounted jack? I don't have my fascinate yet, so I can't examine the back to see if even has the room.

Ads