Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just rooted, now phone is freezing up

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just rooted, now phone is freezing up

Hello everyone. I just rooted my Samsung Fascinate recently and now my phone like to freeze up and seems to happen more frequently lately. I wiped the data and started fresh today and it seemed to be working fine but started again. When it freezes I need to do a battery pull to get it to work.

Have ROM Manager, Titanium Backup (free), Auto Manager, and ROM Toolbox Pro for my rooted programs on phone. Maybe one of these is the culprit to the freezing issue??

I also have another question; when I press vol up/down and power button I still get standard recovery screen instead of clockwork mod recovery. As far as I know I have clockwork mod on my phone but I can't seem to get to the recovery screen to help me install a new theme I found. Still a noob on this and learning more all the time. Any help will be great.

2. Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    You did a factory reset from the phone correct? In doing that, you lost your custom recovery. The only way to do a factory reset once you replace your recovery is to do it from recovery.

Can you tell me which tutorial you used to root your phone?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    oh boy, i went through my bookmarks and couldn't find the exact tutorial I used. I did use Odin and I believe I used the file cwm3_voodoo.tar.md5 (possibly the su-2.3.6.1.x zip file also?) but am not 100%. It took me a few tries as some tutorials did not work for me. Would you think it's best to go back to stock and re-root my phone? If so how would I go about doing that? I will continue looking for the exact tutorial and get back asap if I find it

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry I took so long to get back on here. I did not find the tutorial I used as I had bookmarked so many when I was researching. I did end up wiping my phone a few times and I noticed that when I was reinstalling my rooted apps (ROM Manager, Titanium backup, busybox pro, rom toolbox pro) my phone starts freezing again; doesn't matter which one I install as I tried one by one and it froze with each one. I downloaded a root checker and it said "no root" although I have superuser showing and running. Maybe go back to stock and try again? I have been looking for a download for my phone to return back to stock using Odin but anything I find is crap or the download links do not work (found links in XDA developers site but none work, direct me to DropBox but it says the link is dead). Would love some help. Thanks in advance

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    You can lose root privileges and have SuperUser still installed on the phone. It just cannot do anything, even when running. That is likely why the apps are making your phone freeze, they cannot get access to the privileges they need to function properly. When you did the reset, I am assuming that you did from the phone, in the OS, under Backup and reset?

Also, currently, what version of Android are you running?

I am trying to find the best steps for you to take, but I need a little more info.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Just rooted, now phone is freezing up

Yes I did use the restore in settings menu and in the boot menu (had to do it twice). I have gingerbread 2.3.5 on my phone currently.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times

The problem with your recovery is the gingerbread 2.3.5 kernel won't let the custom recovery stick. So you will need to flash the custom recovery every time you need to use it or put a custom ROM on so you don't need to deal with that problem. I'm going to go with your freezing is due to way to many root programs that all do the same thing in the long run.

Hat are you looking to do with your phone. Now that its rooted
    Rescue Squad
    Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns
    Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just rooted to get more out of my phone. More curiosity than anything but I'm sure I can find a lot to do with it. Would u suggest going back to stock and starting over? If so I can't find a working link to download. Thanks for the input.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie8890 View Post
    The problem with your recovery is the gingerbread 2.3.5 kernel won't let the custom recovery stick. So you will need to flash the custom recovery every time you need to use it or put a custom ROM on so you don't need to deal with that problem. I'm going to go with your freezing is due to way to many root programs that all do the same thing in the long run.

Hat are you looking to do with your phone. Now that its rooted
    Thanks Ronnie!! I did not know that. I will keep that in mind next time as well!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix346 View Post
    Just rooted to get more out of my phone. More curiosity than anything but I'm sure I can find a lot to do with it. Would u suggest going back to stock and starting over? If so I can't find a working link to download. Thanks for the input.

Returning to stock and starting over may be a bit overkill but it may be a good idea. Let me do some recon on a guide and links and I will return shortly
    Rescue Squad
    Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns
    Gtalk available upon request

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads