Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: [kernel][gb][tw][eh09][voodoo] leanKernel by imoseyon

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver

[Kernel][Gb][Tw][Eh09/ei20][Voodoo] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (V2.0.0, 11/17/11

I wanted to test this for at least a day and night to see how performance was both in use and while asleep. I'm happy to say that I really like the latest release and is stable. Running on PWGB it actually runs better than CM7 on my phone (YMMV). No issues after a day of testing and is smooth and fast with voodoo!!!! This kernel is OC'd to 1.2 Ghz but there is no voltage scaling as of yet. Enjoy!

This is a minimalistic Fascinate/Mesmerize/Showcase kernel based on the EI20 Gingerbread kernel source from samsung. It also includes some code from Linux 3.x.

NOTE:
    Install this kernel only if your ROM is based on EH##/EI##.
    Make sure your recovery is compatible with voodoo first.

DOWNLOADS :
    http://cl.ly/BIO1

FEATURES
    • Stripped down of unnecessary components. Lean!
    • multiple components were backported from Linux v3 (see below).
    • latest voodoo lagfix, sound, etc supported natively - no need for voodoo plus app
    • heavily modified,optimized governors: interactiveX, smartass, ondemandX (all three governors have screen-off profile)
    • overclocked to 1.2Ghz & undervolted (100Mhz/900000,200Mhz/900000,400Mhz/1000000,800Mhz/1150000,1200Mhz/1275000)
    • memory, fs tweaks via initramfs
    • notable Linux v3.x backports: ondemand governor, conservative governor, cpu-idle, zram
    • Backlight notification support
    • swap, zram support
    • a few other mods and optimizations i forgot to mention
    • deepidle enabled
    CHANGELOG
    • 0.8.2 - initial release, more goodies to come later! (thanks to butcher1966 for testing)
    • 0.8.5 - flashlight fixed, voodoo color reverted until i can understand it better, undervolted even more for better battery life.
    • 0.9.1 - speed optimizations, swap & compcache support
    • 1.1.1 - touchkey backlight notification support ("BLN v9") - see the FAQ section for more info.
    • 1.1.2 - (minor update), removed more unnecessary components for leaner kernel. Fixed a bug in smartass that could have caused weird issues.
    • 1.3.1 - true custom bootanimation support (simply copy your sanim.zip file in /system/media), cpuidle code backported from linux 3.1, conservative governor tweaks, leaner
    • 1.3.2 - the new cpuidle code, as awesome as it is, appears to interfere with BLN - reverted for now.
    • 1.4.0 - zram (from linux 3.1) module and script support. Open Terminal, type su, enter, and type "zram enable" without quotes to enable & activate zram. (note this may not work if your ROM does not include newer busybox).
    • 1.4.1 - bootanimation fix, slow boot time fix
    • 1.5.1 - deep idle enhancements from Ezekeel, ext4 performance patch, 3rd party battery support, enabling zram will now tweak minfree accordingly.
    • 1.5.2 - deep idle was disabled by default in 1.5.1 - it is now enabled by default.
    • 2.0.0 - kernel rebuilt from the EI20 source from Samsung. Ezekeel's deepidle implementation didn't work right on the i500, so enabled samsung's built-in deepidle instead.
    FAQ
    • How do I tell which version i'm on? - Look in /kernel_version
    • How do I get BLN to work? - BLN support in kernel may still need to be tweaked for things to be perfect. I've heard from testers that BLN Free doesn't work so well but BLN Pro and Blinky work fine. I personally use Blinky and I haven't had any issues (In fact it might work better if you uninstall BLN and just use Blinky). One tester reports that combining BLN Pro and Blinky will work perfectly for all applicable notifications.
    • swap, compcache, zram, wtfbbq? - here are a couple of links: http://www.imoseyon....4/why-swap.html,http://wiki.cyanogen...p_and_Compcache, and zram is the latest incarnation of compcache:https://compcache.go...e.com/hg/README
    • How do i get my custom bootanimation working? - Check out this link.
    • Where's voodoo color and voltage scaling? - I decided for now to skip those features to keep the kernel lean and stable. If you need those two features, comradesvan has an excellent kernel here.
    Last edited by Paul Gyver; 11-17-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: updated version
    CR6 likes this.

2. Ads

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Thanks Paul!
    I'll definitely give this a try tomorrow. Figured I'd wait and see how day two goes, since the last one ran great for a day and then fell apart.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    Well the earlier releases ran bad for me too but I tested since yesterday and I believe the latest builds are very very stable.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    How much smoother than cm7 can it be...at what point will our phones turn to liquid? *pauses to see if I can even get a pity laugh...exits stage left*
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    LOL, the old hit and run method eh? Ok on CM7 the things that bother me are 1) volume levels were never very linear and had to constantly adjust it whether in call, rings, notifications etc. 2) while for the most part smooth I could tell after running a few apps and games that it would lag a bit (memory managemnt perhaps?) 3) Even stock frequencies and voltages just seem to be taxing on the cpu. The result was always ran warmer than PWGB. 4) I know quads don't mean much but 1961 and 2037 respectively for this kernel where as stock CM7 1700-1800 stock voltages.
    buddyfunlove likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    awwwwwwwwww yeah. this is great!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi! So I've been on PWGB v2.0b3 from here: [ROM][i500][09/01][EH09][ODIN][2.3.4] PWGB v2.0b3 TW-Based ROM - xda-developers for the last few weeks and am loving it. I am getting prepped to jump on this kernel as soon as it's shown itself as stable for a few days.

I have to ask though...as it doesn't seem readily apparent...how do I know if my recovery is compatible with Voodoo. I'm using the one that ccampos linked in the above thread.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    When you are in recovery it should say CWM 2.5.xxx which is not voodoo. You can upgrade it to 3.0.xx which has voodoo.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Get the recovery from this guide and you should be good to go.
    [HOW TO] Root Froyo or Gingerbread on Your Fascinate
    Rescue Squad
    Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns
    Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any updates on the stability of this kernel? Using CWM 3.0.2.8 and getting installation aborted (bad).

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads