Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Yes, restoring from your Nandroid will fix your problem.

Boot into recovery and restore from that backup.

Wiping dalvik and such is not required when moving to another kernel. That is mostly for moving from firmware to firmware or ROM to ROM.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    How do I boot into recovery and restore that back up? Is it all done in clockworkmod? I see an option in clockwork mod to simply restore from backup would that do the same thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Launch the CWM app.
    Select Reboot into Recovery.
    Select Backup/Restore.
    Select Restore from Backup.
    Then navigate to your Nandroid and flash it.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    OK, one more question. I found an updated siyah kernel on XDA. If I wanted to flash that should I flash it first and THEN do the recovery then restore steps you laid out or should I do the reboot/recovery steps and then flash the new kernel?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    If you want to run a previous Nandroid with the new kernel you should restore from your backup first. Then once the phone has idled for a minute or two flash the new kernel. If it is a CWM flashable kernel (it should say so) reboot into recovery and flash the zip. If it is an Odin flashable kernel, put the phone into download mode and flash it in the PDA slot.

Then run the kernel for a couple of days and make another Nandroid if it is running as expected.

On a side note...when creating backups be sure to make them from inside of your recovery using the Backup/Restore feature. Don't create them from inside of the phone OS using the CWM application. I have never been able to restore from one of those.
    Last edited by Ollie; 07-25-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Well, call me impatient but I went ahead and restored the Nandroid back up that I had made from within CWM, using CWM and it worked as I believe it should have. The only thing is I had no idea how many apps had been updated and how many other changes I had made (changing around home screens, deleted a couple apps stuff like that) in the interim until after the phone completed the restore and rebooted.
    So the updated Siyah kernel I want to flash says it's CWM flash able, does that automatically mean it is NOT Odin flashable because it doesn't say so? If so I have yet to flash ANYTHING using CWM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Flashing in CWM is super easy and doesn't require a PC.

Launch the CWM app. Select Reboot Into Recovery.

Once inside of recovery:

If the saved file is on your internal SDCard you select Install zip from SDCard and then Install Zip From Internal SdCard.

Scroll down to wherever it is in the directory, select it, confirm install, press the back button, select Reboot device.

I wouldn't flash a CWM zipped file in Odin It requires extra steps of unzipping the file and extracting the zimage.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    This is what's at the XDA site....

Download v3.5.1 - CWM Flashable
    IF YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE FILES, USE "REQUEST DESKTOP SITE" OPTION IN YOUR BROWSER!
    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO "REQUEST DESKTOP SITE" GO AWAY, U HAVE NO BUSINESS FLASHING ANYTHING, LET ALONE A KERNEL!

WITH mic swap (use this one if you are using a ROM directly from the I9100 forum, AOKP or CM9)
    Siyah-v3.5.1-mswap-I777.zip

WITHOUT mic swap (use this one if you are using a ROM from OUR I777 forum like UCPLCx or anything based on these)
    Siyah-v3.5.1-nomswap-I777.zip

Install Instructions
    1. Wipe cache
    2. Wipe dalvik
    3. If you are already on a previous version of Siyah, "Reset ExTweaks profiles" (its under "Kernel specific options")
    4. Flash the kernel
    5. Reboot and enjoy

It wont hurt your phone at all if you go with the wrong one and only takes a minute to flash the other.

Change Log and Dual-boot ROM instructions in Post #2. READ THE ENTIRE POST #2 BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH THE DUAL-BOOT!!!

Here's a link if you want to look at the entire thread [KERNEL] Siyah - ICS [v3.5.1] "One kernel to rule them all!" - xda-developers

Now I found a video on YouTube on how to wipe the dalvik. It looks like it's done in CWM, would I do the cache from the same place? Because I'm such a n00b at flashing and using CWM I can't help but wonder, since I'm currently running Siyah 3.4.2 if I could just download the file and then go to "flash a kernel" in CWM and that's it? But assuming I go through all the steps listed (which I probably should and most likely will do) I don't know where to "reset extweaks profiles" or where to even find "kernel specific options".

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Yes, you wipe the cache, then wipe the dalvik (it is under the Advanced option), then flash the kernel. All of this is in Recovery mode.

Extweaks I know nothing about. If it isn't in recovery and it isn't in your App drawer or Settings app then don't worry about it.

If you are running an AT&T user rom and not one from mic then use the second link.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I am running a Siyah kernel on my S3 right now and will check my recovery for this Extweaks.

Edit: It is either an App or a choice in your Settings App if it shipped with your rom/kernel.

Last edited by Ollie; 07-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads